Monday, June 18, 2007

I'm a Cyborg, but that's ok (KR-2006)

( poster credit www.twitch.com)
Directed by Cannes winner Park Chan Wook (2004 "Old Boy"), "I'm a Cyborg, But that's Ok" (싸이보그지만 괜찮아 Ssaibogeujiman Gwaenchana) stars Korean heart throb and singing sensation Rain (touted as top #1 most influential on Time.com magazine's site this year) I saw last night. This flick is touted as a romantic comedy. It is a simple story about a girl (Lim Soo Jung) thinks she is a cyborg. The young man who falls in love with her is played by Rain. They are both in a mental ward. There are some "imaginery" scenes by Lim Soo Jung's character that remind you it is a Park Chan Wook film. Mainly a flick that causes one to scratch their heads and say "huh?"

Even in South Korea, this movie did not do so well. In fact after slow sales of under 800,000 tickets sold, it was pulled before the lucrative holiday rush this past December 2006. In fact, while I was in Korea, I did see the movie posters everywhere.

I would give this movie a 6.5 out of 10.

No comments: