Saturday, June 16, 2007

Hwang Jini (KBS 2006) opens on AZN June 14, 2007



(Top-film version with Song Hye Gyo, painting real Hwang Jini and below middle-Ha Ji Won in the KBS Drama) wikipedia,yesasia photo source

Hwang Jin-i (황진이, 黃眞伊) (1520c.-1560c.), So I have been waiting to rent out Hwang Jini but now I guess I do not have to. I was told about it around the same time of Jumong by my good pal in Seoul.Ha Ji Won is the lead and Song Hye Gyo plays the big screen Hwang Jini in the pic coming out this month in South Korea. Ha Ji Won garnered a few awards last year for her portrayal of a Kisaeng, a woman of the arts-educated, play instruments, beautiful but similar to Geisha life is not easy.It is reported to be based on the real life 16th Century Hwang Jini inspired many people to be in love with her. Her first love was an aristocrat and died of a broken heart when he could not marry her. This is only the beginning of Hwang Jini trials in love throughout her life.

Per the law in 16th century Korea, any childe from a Giseang is automatically a Giseang. Also they may not get married. But unlike the typical female, they have more freedoms but sadness too.

I have caught two episodes and I enjoyed the younger Hwang Jini (She is impeccably played) and I love her expressions and acting. I wish they had her for a bit longer on the big screen. The costumes are beautiful and the dances, make up and instruments are great. I am looking forward to the rest of the drama.

No comments: