Tuesday, September 25, 2007

King and the Clown (KR 2005)




(photos:Hancinema/filmbrain/caltech)

왕의 남자 (Wang-eui Nam-ja) 王的男人 The King and the Clown 王의 男子


Cast:

Kam Woo-seong (감우성) (Jang Seng-Minstrel)


Kang Seong-yeon (강성연) (King's favored concubine Nok Su)

Lee Joon-ki (이준기) (Gong Gil-Minstrel)

I just caught finally after a long time "King and the Clown" last night. I have been dying to watch this movie. I had a Chinese dubbed version but after two seconds I had to return it to my mom. I cannot listen to it in the wrong language. So then I had to wait some more to watch it in Korean but with good English subs.

I have been able to read some good reviews "Tears of a Clown" a good review from (http://www.filmbrain.com/) which I enjoyed alot. A good synposis from Wikipedia of King and the Clown with a bit more of the story.
I personally gravitate to period pieces. This movie became the top grossing Korean Film in 2005 and a little bit controversial with the homo erotic undertones (though subtle when you compare it to the American "Broke Back Mountain"). There is a kiss that lasts literally a second that is much talked about but when you see it on screen---it looke more of a peck. There is more longing and hinting than actual action. I loved the costumes and the wit (though I am sure alot was lost in translation but the version I got was pretty good).
The movie opens showing two minstrels Jang Seng and Gong Gil performing a parody. Pretty boy Gong Gil is very effeminate and their troupe leader offers him to the aristocracy to make money much to Jang Seng's dismay. Finally fed up an altercation occurs and the leader is killed. They decide to restart their life in Seoul and form a group. Making money off of the audience with their wit and parodies of the King, they must perform with their lives on the line. Either make the King laugh or "off with their heads" but to their surprise they succeed to do the former. The King displays a strong affection for Gong Gil not unnoticed by his favored consort Nok Su. A few performances are done with the head Eunuch dictating the topic and theme all which result in blood shed. The intent is to show the king through these performances what is happening around him but it ends up backfiring. Instead, the King destroys all his enemies.
Lee Jun Ki looked great as Gong Gil and he looks very attractive in his roles as women (in many cultures women were portrayed by men as they were not allowed to perform on stage both in the West and East). It is easy to see why he awakens the attraction to him in those around him. Some critics argue if Jang Seng himself is in love with Gong Gil. I feel that the movie though vague allows the viewer to make up their own opinion. I thought the actor who was King Yongsan played him well in his lust, madness, and playfulness. Even the simple finger puppet plays and the performances hold much meaning that I really enjoyed.
This movie won many awards and became the top grossing Korean Film of all time when it hit the theaters in South Korea. Plus Lee Jun Ki catapulted him into huge popularity where he even got oppportunities after this film. The OST is great! I really enjoyed this film.
9 stars out of 10 stars




King and the Clown---movie trailer

No comments: